Thursday, April 20, 2006

re. Scott Walker

Cheers. I'm sure you're right about The Drift. The interview in this month's The Wire (received this morning) indicates the same, and was a lovely surprise. Walker is out on his own, for me. I find it tedious and annoying that he is treated so much as a quaint oddity -because he's a supposed recluse, and his music, in being 'difficult'/'challenging', is somehow reducable to the level of curio. He really is far more valuable than that. A song like The Cockfighter (to my mind the best on Tilt) is not only a harrowing piece of art, it is extraordinarily beautiful, dramatic, and magnificantly human. The passage 'I have a green light...' is a real moment - sonic, poetic, open-hearted, constructive, inclusive. Then, as it descends into a reworking of the song's obtuse, atonal, Hammer Horrorific, whitenoisy intro, the contrast is stalk and intelligent, on the one hand, and almost comic, certainly blackly-comic, on the other. Scott baying at the moon... And then the dull drum thud of Bouncer See Bouncer; and the sunshine of its middle-section... Nothing compares. His albums take 10 or 11 years because they are crafted, considered statements. I listened to Tilt every day for the rest of the 90s! Almost everything else sounds childish after it. Again, thanks for the work you are doing on your film. I cannot wait to see it. Best wishes, AnthonyPS: It was good of you to accept my invite. My myspace sites are pretty formative at present. A fuller picture of what I do art-wise can be gleaned from http://murmurists.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home